A common theme among business owners is that they promised themselves to, “get around to it”, but despite those best intentions, they unfortunately, “never get it done”.
For many of us, we have sat through way too many long, drawn out meetings, conferences, and workshops. only to see in hindsight that we likely could have gotten all the work done in a 1/5 of the time.
What is emerging is a new type of workshop that focuses on hyper efficiency and RESULTS. These, “feet to the fire” workshops focus on short, tight sessions with hyper efficiency.
For many topics, a solid four-hour workshop can yield huge results. Having an experienced practitioner who will lead the group through a series of exercises in a very concise and tight format, yields an enormous amount of production, not just thought-provoking ideas. It’s a great way to be able to block the time to work through a particular issue and have someone available for questions as you work your way through an organized agenda.
One of the things we know is that we can overwork a piece until it’s dead, and yet, if you know you have an important deadline, it’s amazing how much you can get accomplished, and often it’s some of your best work.
When you’re looking at workshops, be sure to evaluate several different areas of criteria to decide if it’s worth your crucial and precious time.
- Be sure to investigate the sponsor of the event and whether they are reputable and have experience in the topic.
- Confirm the workshop instructor and their credentials.
- Take the time to review the agenda so you have clarity on exactly what you’ll be getting out of your time.
- Review the details to see if there is a clear identifier as to the end result you can anticipate after walking through the workshop with the instructor. If it is a whole lot of teaching and leaves you with hours and hours of more work to do, it may not be worth your time. However, if it’s designed in a way that you will have a completed project or at least a 75% completed project, that is a good sign that you will accomplish great things during your time.
- Check to see what follow up opportunities will be available, so as you fine-tune the materials or if you think of questions later you can rest assured that there are opportunities to get your questions answered.
With many things in life, a little planning goes a long way.
If you want to get more done in 4 hours than most people get done in 12 months, search out some of these “Feet to the Fire” Workshops and start building your business systems today.
Kristen David is a former trial lawyer and partner who went from working 85 hours a week and taking home way too little money in her law firm, built it up to a million-dollar-plus business, then sold her shares and pivoted into a business coach guru. She is now an international speaker, bestselling author, and operates a successful business, empowering business owners to build thriving, profitable businesses that are self-managed with systems. She helps busy business owners build those systems by implementing policies and procedures the Fast Track Way.